Friday, February 27, 2015

Sleep

There's this totally super cute saying I saw on Pinterest.  It's like word art, room decor for a little girls nursery.  It goes, "Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will move mountains."

It's actually derived from a quote by Napoleon.  Except he was talking about China.  I'm pretty sure most people re-pinning that cute scripture, ordering wall decals to lay out over a crib don't know that.  And it doesn't really matter, because it's cute, and it gives you hope that one day big things will happen.  Let her sleep.  Enjoy that quiet.  Allow bigger things to develop.  Because they will.

When Evie was born, I would watch her sleep for hours.  On my chest, on my lap, in her crib, in my bed...I could watch her sleep all day.  I would watch her go through the process of falling asleep: become heavier in my arms, her breath slowing down, little wimpers every now and then.  Have you forgotten about the infant startle reflex?  It's quite possibly the cutest thing to witness.  They grow out of it of course, so you kind of have to cherish it and pay attention while it's happening....I guess thats most things with kids though right?  Sleep holds an innocence, a sweetness...and all just feels safe and right. 

Sleep though, has taken on a Jekyl and Hyde persona (personas?) for me.  It's kind of the the good, the bad and the ugly all at once.  Sleep has become something that is ya know, only ok in doses...too much of a good thing never works out, ya know?  Sleep has become a sign of something developing, of something bigger, just not something good. There is an obvious difference between the good sleep and the bad sleep, obviously. This is something that happens daily, and it's not like I'm worried everyday (ok, well maybe a part of me is worried everyday, but that's just about anything, not this specifically).  So the normal, every day night time sleep...is good.  The bad though, the bad is when she just doesn't feel well.  Her cheeks are pale, her eyes are dull, her energy level is just enough to turn over on the couch and find a new comfortable position...before falling back asleep for hours. 

When Evie was 2 1/2 years old she drifted asleep.  It happened over a period of a few weeks.  I knew something was wrong, but it was such a gradual decline it was hard to diagnose.  It wasn't until I showed up in the ER for the 3rd time in 2 weeks, with a little girl completely out in her stroller, in her 18th hour of consecutive sleep that I got their attention.  Finally there was no denying, something was wrong.  The next time the sleep started I was ready for it.  Despite not being a "normal" symptom, I recognized it.  This was her pattern, and it was starting.  She was sleeping, had no energy...and I wasn't taking no for an answer, I knew better.

And so she went again from the scary, endless sleep, to the normal, relaxing, beautifully calm sleep again.  And as soon as the transition was made it was obvious.  It was just different, and it was better.  On the inside I could slow down, be comforted in the fact that my little girl was in fact just sleeping, and not drifting far away from me. She was just sleeping again.  And I could watch her, and dream of the bigger things to come.  The mountains she would move.  

Strange thing though?  I kind of get the feeling she's already moving them.




No comments:

Post a Comment