Sunday, October 21, 2012

I spy with my little eye...

Right now I am sitting on a bed, nestled up nice and cosy, beside my beautiful little girl.  She is sleeping, and I can hear her soft breaths in and out, and every once in a while it is enhanced by a deep sigh.  We are sharing a warm flannel blanket, and even a pillow.  Her little hand is resting on my thigh, as she is wedged under my arm.  She looks so peaceful, and comfortable. 

In the background Treehouse is on the tv, and the damn Bubble Guppies are on...again. I hate that show, but to be honest, the droning sound of the tv is nice. I can hear at least three different conversations going on, all of which seem to be of a personal nature, so I do my best not to overhear.  Instead, I find myself quietly looking around my surroundings, taking in the sights.

I spy with my little eye
a tired little girl
a plate of untouched, cold macaroni and cheese
two empty Tim Hortons coffee cups
one full bottle of water
brand new Ernie and Bert stuffies
two homemade cards, made from marker and construction paper
my camera
my blackberry, dangling alongside the wall as it is charging
a tupperware container filled with roast chicken, potatoes and cauliflower
a starbucks bag with lemon poppyseed cake inside
a half full Chai Tea Latte
my duffle bag, overflowing with a mixture of clean and dirty clothes
a towel and toiletries waiting for me to decide when to shower
our broken down stroller
a red SickKids parent ID badge, for 24 hour access
a handout explaining procedures that have or will happen during our stay
some extra "stickers" for Evie's torso, which will attach to her heart monitor
a melted "pink" (red) freezie, dripping, and ultimately making the table sticky
my PJ20 book, a useful and interesting distraction, as they always are to me

On a hospital bed, with a curtain tightly pulled around, with room for only a chair and some monitors I sit and listen to my daughter breath deeply and sleep.  At the end of the night, it is just the two of us, inside that curtain.  It is quiet, with only a night light, and the glare of tv. 

It is my 30th Birthday. 





No comments:

Post a Comment